Thing #5 – RSS Reflection

I was reading through my RSS feed today when I came across this interesting website on the uses of Google Earth in the classroom.  While many of the resources in the blog post are meant for students in elementary classes who are just learning about geographic features, it would be quite easy to adjust the resources for more thought provoking purposes for a high school class.  This isn’t particularly useful to me in physics or math, but what a great resource for my wife or for an Earth Science teacher.  I’m absolutely in love with geography and I need a way to try to integrate that into my math or physics courses in a meaningful way.  That’s one of my challenges this summer.  Let me know if you have any ideas.

4 thoughts on “Thing #5 – RSS Reflection

1. Will co.
    I’ll try and figure something out.
    Geography.
    How can we know where to go if we don’t know where we are?

2. Just before the floor dropped out of the school budget I’d been talking to Dan Lee about creating a giant map of the world that could be rolled out on the gym floor in strips or perhaps quilt-like pieces. I still think this could be a great tool for classes and I’d be interested to know how you might use it in a physics or math class. Measurement seems like the most obvious application – distances, weather patterns, human migration, water / land areas…
    I realize this is not a Web 2.0 tool of course but I still believe in physical experience as a learning resource as well. Nevertheless, I can’t get enough Google Earth and students seem to love it too. So real and so personal to be able to zoom in!

3. I use Google Earth relentlessly in Ecology, and often in Biology. I use it for almost anything to add a visual component…to show the course of the Saco, trails we hike in the White Mtn. Nat. Forest, the buildings on campus, the Galapagos Islands, or the location of Las Casas de la Selva in Puerto Rico. In the first few days of class, as an icebreaker, I often have kids show us their homes…whether it is Bangkok, Istanbul, or Brownfield.

I’d love to have a license to use Google Earth Pro in the science department. Last time I looked it was about $400. We could justify it by sharing it. Anyone interested?

Here’s a site I’ve looked at before: http://gelessons.com/

And Chris, I don’t know how much you do with measuring distances, and means and medians, but this looks like a great activity: http://gelessons.com/lessons/studentcontrol/k12math/wherewearefrom/index2.html