23 Places

Here is a list of 23 Places (actually 24 since you have to count Place 0) to which I’ve never been that I’d like to visit.  They are listed in roughly the order of likelihood.

Place 0)  Isle Royale, Lake Superior, Michigan – I am actually hiking here this summer with my wife, brother, and his girlfriend.

Place  1)  Thailand – Emily and I plan to go to Thailand during the summer of 2010.  Hopefully we’ll get to see Ken and Luck while we’re there.

Place  2)  British Columbia – I’ve always wanted to go to Banff and Lake Louise, but why not make a side trip to Vancouver while I’m at it.

Place  3)  Glacier National Park, Montana, U.S.A. – My friend Elise’s family has a house in the park which makes it highly likely that I’ll get a chance to go here.

Place  4)  Patagonia, Chile and Argentina – I think this is perhaps one of the most beautiful places on Earth and I’d like to go before the glaciers are gone.

Place  5)  Tuscany and Rome, Italy – I took a course in college about Roman Archaeology and have been fascinated with it ever since.  I also love good food.

Place  6)  The British Museum, London, England – As my brother put it, “where else can you see hundreds of years of stolen culture in one place.”

Place  7)  Iberia – There are so many places in the Iberian Peninsula that I want to go that I clumped it all together.

Place  8)  Paris, France – I’ve technically been to France, but never to Paris.  Em has fallen in love with the city, so I’d better go find out what’s so great about it.

Place  9)  Yosemite National Park, California, U.S.A. – I’ve always wanted to go to Yosemite and do some hiking and see Half Dome.

Place  10)  Crater Lake National Park, Oregon, U.S.A. – This is one of the most beatiful things I’ve ever seen.

Place  11)  Alaska, U.S.A. – This one’s a bit general, but I’d love to experience the wilderness of Alaska.

Place  12)  South Africa – Em is also in love with South Africa so I need to experience it myself.

Place  13)  China – I’m not quite sure what it is I’d like to see in China since there’s so much, but that’s really why it’s on the list.

Place  14)  Cyprus/Turkey/Greece – I’ve wanted to go to Cyprus since my 7th grade country report.  The mixing of cultures (and not mixing) is so interesting in this region.

Place  15)  Iceland – This is probably a place I should move to the top of the list since it is quite cheap to travel there now since their economy is a wreck.

Place  16)  Egypt – I’d love to see the only remaining ancient wonder of the world and see the markets in Cairo.

Place  17)  The Olympics – If you don’t already know, I’m obsessed with the Olympic Games.  I’d like to attend one sometime and I don’t really care where they are.

Place  18)  New Zealand – This is one of the most naturally beautiful countries in the world, but it’s hard to visit on a teacher’s schedule with the opposite seasons.

Place  19)  Tanzania – My brother and I had an idea that we’d climb Mount Kilimanjaro some day, maybe we still will.

Place  20)  Petra, Jordan – This is one of the most amazing feats of architecture I’ve ever seen.  If you don’t know what it is, think back to Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade.  It’s the temple at the very end.

Place  21)  Mount Everest, Nepal – I’d love it if I had the ability, money, and time to climb Everest.  I probably never will, but having the chance to see it would be great too.

Place  22)  The Galapagos Islands, Ecuador – The Galapagos are really neat due to the incredible biodiversity and the lack of too much settlement.

Place  23)  Fiji or Samoa – I’m not much of a beach person, but if I were to choose an island destination, it would be one of these two.  I love the culture of the Pacific Islands and would love to immerse myself in it.